If you know me, you know I love animals, and supporting rescue efforts. The Sweet Sanctuary is a pig (and now many other animal) rescue near me. I have been supporting them for a while, and this is the second chance I have had to go and hang out there for a class.
Please try out these 7 poses for a fun intermediate flow, and check out the full video practice to support the sanctuary.
1. Balasana – Start kneeling. Bring the big toes together. Take the knees as wide as comfortable. Sink the hips back to the heels. Walk hands forward, extending out of the low back, and lower the forehead down.Melt the heart down. Find a breath rhythm as you hold here, that you can maintain for your practice.
2. Gate Pose – Come up to the knees. Extend the left leg out, pressing foot down to mat. Ankle, knee and hip in line. Lift the torso, shoulders over hips. Reach the right arm up and over. Slide the left hand down the left leg. Relax head and neck. Lift up and repeat to the other side.
3. Three Legged Dog – Walk hands forward. Tuck the toes and lift the hips up and back in downward dog. Lift the tailbone up. Kick the right leg up. Bend the knee, and open up the hip. Keep the left foot pressing down and chest reaching for thighs.
4. Modified Side Plank – Step the right foot forward, a few inches behind the right wrist. Roll to the outer edges of both feet. Lean on the left hand. Reach the right arm up and over, for a big side body stretch. Push the feet into the floor to lift the hips up higher.
5. Skandasana – Bring the right hand down. Start rotating forward, and keep walking hands to the left, to turn and face the long edge of the mat. Bend into the right knee. Straighten the left leg. Sinking the hips low. Use arms to push the knee and thigh open. Switch sides.
6. Low Lunge – Bring hands down and turn to the top of the mat. Tuck the left toes, dropping left knee down. Bending into the right knee. Push into the legs, tuck the tail and lift up. Reaching arms up overhead.
7. Half Splits Twist – Bring the left hand down, keeping the right arm up and chest facing to the right. Start to straighten the right leg. Keep the left hand down, maybe coming up on the fingertips. Keep reaching left hand towards the sky.
Repeat 3 through 7 on the other side.
These come from a 20 minute practice I shared on my channel. All proceeds from this video will go directly to Sweet Sanctuary.
If you wish to donate to the sanctuary directly, you can do so here https://sweetsanctuary.ca/yoga-with-kassandra/