Do you wake up stiff and achy? Feeling like you can’t get on with your day without something? Let these 7 poses be your answer!
A little bit of movement on your mat really is the best way to start your day. Roll it out and get moving.
1. Balancing Table – Come to table top, with shoulders over wrists and hips over knees. Inhale to drop the belly, lift the gaze, curl tailbone up. Exhale to round and contract. Do about 5 to 10 rounds. Come to neutral table top and extend the left leg back. Reach the right hand forward. Exhale to round and contract elbow touching to knee. Inhale to extend.
2. Runner’s Lunge – Step the left foot in between the palms. Tuck the back toes. Lift the back knee. Sway and rock back and forth. Melting the hips down.
3. Warrior 2 – Spin the back heel down, foot parallel to the short edge of the mat. Push into the feet and lift up. Shoulders over hips. Arms extended and palms facing down. Squeeze left knee open. Reverse, right hand down and left up and over.
4. Three Legged Dog – Spin both hands down to the mat. Turning right toes in. Kick the left foot up and back. Bend the left knee and open up the hip.
Repeat 1 through 4 on the other side.
5. Seated Pigeon – Take a seat, with the legs extended out. Bend the right knee and bring the right ankle on top of the left knee. Choose how much you want to bend the left knee to bring the right foot in. Keep the chest lifted, no rounding or slouching.
6. Seated Twist – Straighten the right leg down. Cross and plant the left foot down on the outer edge of the thigh. Wrap the left arm around. Twist to the right. Right hand back behind you. Stay tall.
Repeat 5 and 6 on other side.
7. Seated Meditation – Take a seat cross legged or kneel. Resting hands on the legs or lap. Close the eyes. Take a moment here to think of a one word intention to take with you as you get up and on with your day.
These poses make up a 10 minute morning practice I shared on YouTube and within my app. Check it out below.