It’s that magical time of year, the Summer Solstice. This is the longest day of the year, the start of warmer weather in this hemisphere. It is also international day of yoga, and the marking of the half way point of the year. All that to say, it’s a great time to celebrate, reflect on what you are grateful for, and welcome in abundance.
This sequence will help you to do that. To stoke the fire within yourself, and prepare for the final 6 months of the year. It will also help you to honor the sun, as our life source.
I would recommend having a yoga strap, theraband or belt handy.
1. Single Nostril Breathing – to begin, start with some pranayama. Use your right hand. Seal the left nostril with your ring finger. Inhale fully through the right nostril. Seal the right nostril with the thumb, opening the left nostril. Then exhale out of the left nostril. Repeat for 18 rounds of breath.
2. Reclined Leg Stretch – Lay down on your back, grabbing your strap of any kind. Loop it around the ball of the right foot. Extend the leg up, flexing the foot. Lightly pull the leg in. Keeping the upper body relaxed. Option to extend the left leg out. After a moment, transfer both sides of the strap to the right hand. Opening the leg to the right. Keeping the left side heavy, engaging the obliques. Lift back up, transfer the strap to the left hand. Cross the leg over the body to the left side. Trying to keep the right shoulder heavy. Come back to center, release and repeat with the left leg.
3. Modified Side Plank – Come to table top. Extending the left leg back behind you. Roll onto the inner edge of the left foot. Push into the right hand and reach the left arm up over head. Engage the muscles and float the left foot. Tap the left foot down and reach the left arm up as you exhale. Inhale to lift the foot and hand again. Repeat several rounds. Then hold as you’re down and inhale to see if you can pick up the right foot off the mat. Lower down and repeat on the other side.
4. Locust – Lower down onto the belly. Point the toes back and press down on the tops of the feet. Inhale to lift the upper body in cobra three times. Then reach the hands back at your side. Float the feet up.
5. Core Center Downward Dog – Bring the hands down, tuck the toes and lift the hips up to downward dog. Lift the heels up, drop both heels to the right. Push the hips out to the right. Come onto the left fingertips, and gaze under the left shoulder. After a few breaths, come back to center. And then take it to the other side.
6. Sun Salutations – Standing at the top of the mat. Inhale the arms up, palms together. Exhale to fold down. Inhale halfway lift. Exhale to fold, plant palms and step back. Inhale to hold. Exhale to lower through chaturunga. Inhale cobra or upward facing dog. Exhale to downward dog. Hold for inhale. Exhale to step to the top of the mat. Inhale half lift. Exhale fold. Inhale to press to stand. Exhale hands to hear. Do 9 total rounds.
7. Wide Legged Forward Fold – Turn to the long edge of the mat, taking the feet wide and parallel to the short edge of the mat. Inhale to lift and lengthen the spine. Keep the length in the spine as you hinge at the hips and fold down. Hips, knees and ankles in the same line. Keeping weight in the balls of the feet. Relax the head and neck to decompress. Take several rounds of breath while here.
These come from a full one hour practice I shared on my channel and within my app.