Zodiac signs and astrology as a whole is full of great metaphors and symbolism to learn about your self. You don’t need to be a firm believer of astrology in order to take from it what you will. This is the start of my zodiac yoga themed series.
Aries is the first sign of the zodiac. It is the cardinal fire sign, and initiates. Its archetype is the Warrior/Warrioress.
Aries is full of courage and leadership. For the good of self as well as the collective.
These 7 poses will help you stoke the inner fire and power.
1. Thunderbolt – Start kneeling, sitting back on the heels. Take thunderbolt mudra, interlacing fingers together and place over the chest with the thumbs pointing up.
2. Camel Modification – As you inhale, take both hands overhead and squeeze into the glutes and lift the hips up. Finding a little backbend. As you exhale, take both hands back and press hips back to heels. Repeat with the breath for 5 rounds or so. Then next time you come down, bring left hand back behind you. Reach the right arm up and over and press and lift the hips. Lower and repeat to the other side.
3. Revolved Triangle – Come to plank, with the shoulders over the wrists and heels pressing back. Body in one long line, holding for a few breaths. Then bring the right knee towards the left elbow. Straighten the right leg towards the left. Lowering the outside of the right foot down. Roll to the inner edge of the left foot. Lift the left arm up. Push the feet into the floor. Squeeze and lift the hips. Come back to plank and repeat to the other side.
4. Stoke the Inner Fire Plank – Start in downward dog. Kick the right leg up to three legged dog. As you exhale, come forward to plank and draw the right knee to nose. Inhale to stretch it back up to three legged dog. Repeat several rounds with the breath.
5. Low Lunge – On the last rep, look past the palms and step the right foot through to the top of the mat. Drop the left knee down. Push into legs and lift the torso. Keep the tail reaching down. Draw the low belly in. Steeple the fingers, reaching the hands overhead. Find a gentle backbend, and looking up towards the hands.
Repeat 4 and 5 on the other side.
6. Child’s Pose – Lower to kneeling. Bring the big toes together and knees apart. Fold down, lowering the forehead to the mat. Slowing the breath and beginning to wind down.
7. Seated Twist – Come to a seat, with the legs extended out. Bend the right knee, and cross the right foot over the left thigh. Hold and hug it in towards the belly. Stay lifted and tall as you rotate to the right. No slouching or rounding. Repeat on the other side.
These 7 poses come from a 15 minute Aries yoga flow on my YouTube channel as well as in my app.