The following sequence will take you through the chakras from root to crown with a yin pose for each one. This practice will help you dive deeper and make meaningful changes in your life.
Paired with each pose (and side) is an Affirmation pulled from my I Radiate Joy affirmation deck. Internally repeat the affirmation as you hold each pose.
Hold each pose for 3 minutes or so.
1. Root Chakra/Half Butterfly – Begin in a seat with the right leg extended out. Bring the left foot to the inside of the groin, or bring it back behind to really work the inner thigh. Turn towards the right knee. Round the back as you fold down. Turning the palms up and allowing gravity to do the work. Support the forehead with a prop if desired.
Affirmation: I am grounded in the present moment.
Lift up and switch to the left side.
Affirmation: Life supports me in every way.
2. Sacral Chakra/Reclined Butterfly – Lower down onto the back. If you have a block, place it under the hips to elevate them. Bring the soles of the feet together and drop the knees apart. Place the hands on the belly/sacral chakra space.
Affirmation: My power lies in my sensitivity.
3. Solar Plexus Chakra/Supine Twist – Remove the block if you’re on one. Shift the hips to the right. Straighten the left leg. Bring the right knee into the chest and cross it over to the left. Stay here, extending the right arm out. Or bend the left knee and reach for the foot with the right hand. If you are able to clasp the foot, guide the knees away from one another, trying to stack the hips.
Affirmation: My journey is my own and I claim it now.
Come back to center and repeat to the other side.
Affirmation: I release all fears of not being good enough.
4. Heart Chakra/Sphinx – Roll over onto the belly, with the legs extended back. Bring the forearms to the mat in front of you about shoulder width apart. Control the deepness of the back bend by bringing elbows closer in or further out. Push the pubic bone and tops of the feet into the mat. Roll the shoulders down as you pull the heart forward. Squeeze the shoulder blades back.
Affirmation: I am worthy of love and acceptance.
5. Throat Chakra/Neck Release – Sit up nice and tall, with legs crossed if comfortable. Drop the right ear to the right shoulder. Maybe using the right hand on the left temple to guide the stretch deeper. You might also want to crawl the fingertips out to the side.
Affirmation: I speak my mind with clarity and compassion.
Return to center and repeat on the other side.
Affirmation: I allow all parts of me to be expressed.
6. Third Eye Chakra/Child’s Pose – Come to kneel. Bringing the big toes together and knees as wide as you like. Lower the forehead to the mat, ensuring it’s in contact with the mat or a block if not accessible.
Affirmation: My intuition is always guiding me.
7. Crown Chakra/Savasana – End your practice in savasana. On the back, extending legs and arms out. Reaching the crown towards the back.
Affirmation: I am always protected and divinely guided.
These 7 poses come from a 50 minute yin practice on my YouTube channel.