When it comes to yoga, a little bit goes a long way. Whether you’re new to yoga, or been practicing a while, setting aside a few moments in the morning will help you to begin your day in a way that will help you thrive for the rest of it.
Give these 6 approachable poses a go and let me know how you feel tonight.
1. Cat/Cow – Begin from table top, with hands under the shoulders and knees under the hips. As you inhale, drop the belly while lifting the gaze and curling the tailbone up. As you exhale, round and contract crown to tail. Focus on spreading the weight through the fingers and knuckles, and not dumping it all in the wrists.
2. Gate Pose – Step right leg out to the side, with the foot flat to the floor. Ankle, knee and hip all in line. Walk the hands back until you can lift up, shoulders over hips. Reach the left arm up and over in a side bend, letting the right hand slide down the extended leg.
3. Low Lunge with Twist – Step the right foot to the top of the mat, however you need to get it there. Ground the right palm to the outside of the right foot. Reaching the left arm up to the sky in an open twist. Take a couple breaths. Then lower the left hand inside the right foot and reach the right arm up, in a closed twist.
4. Reverse Warrior – Curl the back toes under, lifting the back knee off the mat. Spin the back toes out, so the foot is parallel to the short edge of the mat. Front heel in line with back arch. Reach the arms out front to back. Flip the palms up. Bring the left hand to rest on the back leg, while the right arm reaches up and over.
5. Triangle – Return to Warrior. Push into the feet and straighten the right leg. Send the hips back. Reach the right arm as far forward as you can, before lowering it down. Use the right hand on shin for support or engage abdominal strength while letting it dangle. Reach the left arm up to the sky, maybe gazing up at the hand.
6. Child’s Pose – Come to kneel on the mat, with legs and feet together (toes untucked). Press the hips back to the heels. Bring the forehead down to the mat to rest. Take a moment here to slow down the heart rate, and return the breath to normal before getting up.
These 6 poses come from a 10 minute beginner practice I shared on my channel and inside my YWK mobile app.