When you are preparing for bed and releasing the tension from your body, it’s best to keep things simple.
These 6 poses can be done without props, and even in bed so you can fall right asleep.
1. Chest Opener – Sit with the feet in front of you. Bring the hands back behind you, with fingers pointing towards you and spread wide. Lift your heart towards the sky. Bend the elbows and think of squeezing them together. Arching into the back.
2. Seated Pigeon – Cross the right ankle over the left knee. Bend your left knee as much as you like. The closer you come in, the deeper you will feel in the right hip. Turn your fingers back. Push your spine straight. Relax your shoulders away from your ears.
3. Forward Fold – Slide the left leg straight. Bringing the right foot inside of the thigh. Passively fold forward, letting spine round naturally. No pushing or pulling. Let the head dangle. Start to take longer and slower breaths.
Repeat 2 and 3 on second side.
4. Shoulder Stretch – Sit comfortably, with legs crossed if you can. Lengthen the spine. Interlace your fingers behind you. Bring the palms towards the right hip. Press your shoulders down and look over the right shoulder. Lean your head back a little. Relax your jaw. Hold for a few breaths and then take to the other side.
5. Lying Spinal Twist – Lay down on your back. Open your arms up. Drop both knees and thighs to the left. Stacking right hip over the left. Keep the collarbones facing up. Take several deep breaths here before switching sides.
6. Reclined Butterfly – Bring the soles of the feet together and let the knees fall open. Reach the arms overhead. Lengthening out here. After 5 or so breaths, make your way into Savasana or straight into your preferred sleeping position.
These 6 poses come from a quick 8 minute class I shared on my channel. Check it out below.