When you start your day, do you take time to determine how you want it to go? Or do you just roll out of bed and hit the ground running?
As you work through these 7 poses this morning, consider a one word intention for how you want the day ahead to go. And then this evening reflect back on if you were able to steer it that way.
1. Mountain Pose – Stand at the back of your mat, feet hip width apart. Roll shoulders back, arms down at sides and palms facing forward. Close your eyes. Lengthen tailbone down. Tone through the belly. Lift up through the crown. Press feet firmly into ground.
2. Rag Doll – Roll down over the legs. Bend into the knees as needed. Round the back. Relax the neck and let the head be heavy. Hold elbows, swaying gently side to side.
3. Downward Dog to Plank – Walk the hands forward into down dog. Keeping feet hip width apart and hands shoulder width distance. Come up onto the balls of the feet. Reach the tailbone all the way up. Then ripple forward to plank. Bend your knees and wave tailbone back to downward dog.
4. Balance – Walk up to the front of the mat and lift to stand. Lean on the right leg. Pull the left knee up and in. Hold the back of the thigh or front of shin. Take some ankle rolls. Try not to dig the right toes in. Keep the knee up, while bringing hands on to the hips. Holding in the balance.
5. High Lunge – Step the left foot back into high lunge. Reach the tail down. Bend deep into the right knee. Extend the arms up to sky. Sink hips. Then tilt forward, sweeping the arms back, with palms facing down. Shrug the shoulders down. After a few breaths, bring hands down and walk feet to top of mat.
Repeat 4 and 5 on other side.
6. Child’s Pose – After the second side, step back to down dog. Bring the big toes together. Take the knees wide as you lower them down to the mat. Sink the hips to the heels. Extend arms forward. Maybe bringing palms together, bending elbows and bringing thumbs to the back of the neck. Take about 10 breaths here.
7. Cat/Cow – Lift up to table, with hands under shoulders and knees under hips. Inhale to drop the belly, lift the gaze and curl tailbone up. Exhale to round and contract, chin to chest. Repeat a few rounds.
These poses come straight out of a 10 minute morning slow flow class on my YouTube channel and on my app.