When you think about health do you just think about the physical? Or do you include mental, emotional, and spiritual in there too? Take some time to tune into your holistic health with these 5 yin poses and accompanying affirmations.
Hold each pose for 3-4 minutes. Repeating the affirmation a few times internally while you hold in the pose, considering how it makes you feel and what it might bring up.
After you’re done you may want to grab a journal and write down what came up for you.
- Supported Bridge – Lay down on back with knees bent and soles on ground. Lift the hips up and slide one block under at the lowest or mid level. Taking a gentle inversion with hips higher than heart, and heart higher than head. To intensify, straighten the legs. If this is jamming the low back, keep the knees bent. Close your eyes and take deep slow breaths.
Affirmation: I treat my body with love and respect.
2. Caterpillar Fold – Come up to sit with the legs extended out in front of you, hip width apart. Fold down using blocks to support the head, adjusting as you naturally open. Round and relax, with arms resting at the sides.
Affirmation: I allow all parts of me to be expressed.
3. Reclined Hero – Place two blocks. One to support the upper back and fall between the shoulder blades. The other to support the head. Bring the feet close to the hips, with the tops of the feet pressing into mat. Keep thigh bones parallel and hip width apart. Move the calves out of the way as needed. Lift and tuck the tailbone under. Slowly ease back onto the blocks. Resting arms at the sides.
Affirmation: In this moment I release all thoughts of worry.
4. Reclined Twist – Lower down to the back, moving props to the side. Extend the left leg straight. Pull the right knee in to the belly. Cross it over, stacking the right hip over the left. Reach the right arm out to the side. Gaze up or turn to look at the right shoulder.
Affirmation: When challenges arise I stay anchored in hope.
Switch sides and use the Affirmation: I allow myself to slow down and rest.
5. Reclined Butterfly – Option to bring a block under the hips (like in supported bridge). Bring the soles of the feet together and drop the knees to the sides. Keep the arms on the belly or bring them up over head.
Affirmation: My self esteem is growing day by day.