Have you heard of the 5 minute journal? Its concept is about setting aside 5 minutes every morning to do a healthy habit. If you’ve got just 5 minutes to spare, you can get in a great stretch. Keep your mat rolled out and get on it every morning to work through these 7 poses.
1. Child’s Pose – Start kneeling. Bring the big toes together and take the knees as wide as you like. Walk the hands over towards the left as you fold down. Press hips back to heels and crawl the right fingers as far as you can. Let head rest down. Take 3 deep breaths here. Then crawl fingers to the right.
2. Low Lunge – Lift up to hands and knees. Step right foot forward, knee over ankle. Press into legs as you lift arms overhead. Reach the tail down. Draw the low belly in. Melt the hips down.
3. Hamstring Stretch – Circle the hands down. Push into foot and straighten the right leg any amount. Fold forward towards the leg. Adjusting the foot as needed.
4. Runner’s Lunge – Bend back into the right knee. Tuck the toes and lift the knee up. Come onto the fingertips. Press the hips down, and lift the heart forward. Maybe rocking a bit front to back.
5. Pyramid – Straighten the right leg any amount. Push into the back heel. Fold down over the leg. Relax the head. Getting deeper into the hamstring.
Step back and switch side to repeat 2 through 5.
6. Three-Legged Dog – Step back to downward dog. Kick the right leg up to the sky. Bend into the right knee, opening up the hip (but not the shoulder). Lift the knee as high as you can. After a few breaths, set the right foot down. Repeat on left side.
7. Rabbit Pose – Bring feet down. Sit back on heels with toes untucked. Interlace the fingers behind the back. Shrug the shoulders down and away from the ears. Open up the chest. Lift the knuckles up. Stay here or bring the crown down to the mat, lifting the knuckles up and over.
To walk through these 7 poses with me, check out the video below.