Could you use some mindfulness and intention setting in your morning? It’s a great way to set the tone for your day.
Rolling out your mat and moving through some poses will help you get going in the right way. Plus these moves will help you get rid of aches and pains from the night.
1. Lying Spinal Twist – Start laying down on your mat. Hug your right knee in to the chest, keeping left leg extended out. Guide the right knee across the body to the left side. Using your left hand to assist the twist. Bring the right arm out to the side, and turning the chin to the right shoulder. Repeat on the other side.
2. Simple Seated Twist – Roll up to a seat, with both legs extended. Reach the arms overhead. Push into the heels. Bring the left hand to the outer right knee. Reach the right fingers back behind you. Think of lengthening up and growing taller. Inhale back to center. Take to the other way.
3. Butterfly Fold – Bring the soles of the feet together, opening the knees out to the sides. Walk hands out in front and towards the right side of the mat as you fold. Adding some lateral flexion. Hold for a few breaths and then walk hands to the left.
4. Toe Squat – Come to kneel. Tuck the toes and rest hips on the heels. Move the little toe if needed. Take a few rounds of seated cat/cow from here. Bending the elbows out at 90 degrees. Inhale to open the heart and puff the chest forward. Exhale to round and contract, bringing forearms in and tucking chin to chest.
5. Chair Pose – Come to stand at top of mat. Feet hip width apart, and arms overhead. Bend the knees and sink the hips. Keep knees hip width apart and over the ankles. Rocking the weight back.
6. Low Lunge – Bring the fingers down. Step left foot back, and lower knee to mat. Melt your hips forward and down. Roll the shoulders down and away from the ears.
These 7 asanas come from a 10 minute morning flexibility flow on my YouTube channel. Check it out below.