Not a lot of energy this morning? Feeling stiff, sore and sluggish? These 7 simple stretches are an easy way to wake up without much effort.
All of these poses are done grounded and low to the ground. No strain, just stretch.
1. Child’s Pose with Side Bend – From kneeling, bring the big toes together and knees as wide as comfortable. Crawl the hands forward and over towards the left. Stretch the right fingers as far as you can before lowering the forehead down. Press your hips to your heels. Hold for about 5-10 breaths. Walk to the other side.
2. Calf Stretch – Come up to table top with shoulders over hands and hips over knees. Stretch the right leg back. Keep the toes grounded, push into the right heel to stretch in to the calf and ankle. Repeat on the other leg.
3. Seated Side Bend with Twist – Sit up comfortably. Bring the left hand to the right knee. Reach your right hand up and over. Keeping shoulder drawing back. Relax head and neck.
4. Gentle Seated Twist – Lift up. Keep the left hand on the knee as you open into the twist by crawling the right fingers back. Pull the low belly in. Think about growing taller.
Repeat 3 & 4 on other side.
5. Butterfly Fold – Bring the soles together and knees apart. Walk the hands out in front of you. Turn the palms up if you like. Let yourself dangle as you hold for 5 deep breaths.
6. Reclined Pigeon – Lower on to the back. Cross the right ankle over the left knee. Flex the foot and press the right knee away. Hold the back of the left thigh, pulling the knee into the chest. To deepen the stretch, straighten the left leg and slide hands further up the leg. Don’t tense the neck and shoulders here.
7. Happy Baby – Grab the outsides of the feet. Stack the ankles over the knees as you draw the thighs towards the mat. Flexing the feet. Maybe rocking side to side.
These 7 poses come from a quick and easy 10 minute yoga class for beginner’s on my YouTube channel.