Do you like to focus in on one area in your practice or prefer to do a bit of everything during your time on the mat? The poses outlined in this practice target it all.
No props are required for these poses, just roll out your mat and give them a go.
- Twist – Lay flat on your back. Hug right knee in to your belly, while pushing into the left heel. Roll the right ankle a few times. Press the shoulders into the mat, finding length in the low back. Carry it into a twist, bringing right knee across the belly to the left. Reach your right arm out to the side. Gaze over the right shoulder. Stacking the hips. Return to center and repeat on the other side.
2. Bridge – Bend the knees, bringing both feet to the mat. Arms come down at the sides. Push into the feet to lift up, hips, low back, mid back. If you want, interlace the hands underneath you. Hug your inner thighs toward one another. Reach the tailbone towards the knees. Keep length in the neck.
3. Side Sphinx – Roll onto your left side for a big side body stretch. Come onto your forearm, or take deeper by lifting to the palm. Stack one leg over the other. Hold in lateral flexion. Repeat on the other side.
4. Prayer Twist – Come to table top, with knees hip width distance apart. Step the right foot to the top of the mat. Bring the right knee over your right ankle. Lift the hands up, bringing them together at the heart. Take left elbow across to the outside of the right knee. Push arm into thigh to lift the chest up and avoid collapsing into it. Repeat on the other side.
5. Forward Fold – Stand up at the top of your mat. Fold down over the legs, bending the knees as needed. Grab the two big toes with the peace fingers. Inhale to lift and lengthen. Exhale, bend elbows away from one another as you fold.
6. Eagle Pose – Lift up to standing. Bring your arms in front of you, bending into the elbows. Loop the right elbow under the left one, binding once or twice. Cross the left thigh over the right one. Bend in the knees. Maybe tucking the left toes behind the right shin. Roll the shoulders down and pull the belly in. Try it on the other leg.
7. Side Plank Variation – From downward dog, kick the right leg up. Step it halfway up the mat. Roll onto the outer edge of the left foot, as right toes turn to the right. Push into the left arm. Reach your right arm up and over. Inhale, bringing right hand back towards feet and dip the hips down. Exhale to lift back up and over. Repeat a few rounds with your breath. Return to down dog and switch sides.
These poses are from an intermediate half hour practice on my YouTube channel. Check it out below.