Looking for a short energizing practice to start your day with? Give these 7 poses a try!
This sequence is great for all levels and no props are required.
1. Reclined Butterfly – Lay down on your back. Bring the souls of the feet together, and drop the knees apart. Place the hands on the belly or extend the arms overhead for an opening in the chest and shoulders.
2. Reclined Eagle – Wrap the right thigh over the left one. Maybe wrapping the right toes behind. Bend the elbows, binding arms once or twice. Curl up, lifting head and shoulders. Inhale to straighten a bit through legs and arms, exhale to crunch knees and elbows together. Do about 5 rounds. Unwind, rest down and repeat with opposite cross.
3. Bridge – Set the feet down and rest the arms down at the sides. Push into the feet to lift hips, low back and mid back off the floor. Hug through the inner thighs. Push into the shoulders. Maybe lift heels, coming to the balls of the feet. Hold for 5 or so breaths. Roll down one vertebrae at a time.
4. Modified Side Plank – Come to table top with hands at the top of the mat. Extend the right leg back, pushing into the heel. Bring weight forward. Roll to the inner edge of the right foot, aligned to short edge of mat. Stretch the right arm up to the sky. Look up if it feels okay. See if you can squeeze and lift the left knee off the mat.
5. Low Lunge/Half Split – Step the right foot through to the top of the mar. Push into the feet and lift the hands overhead. After a few breaths, lower hands to frame foot. Push into heel and straighten the front leg any amount in half splits. Flex right foot if it feels good for you.
Repeat 4 and 5 on other side.
6. Standing Eagle – Stand at the top of the mat. Wrap the left thigh over the right, maybe tucking the toes. Bend the knees generously. Wrap left arm under the right. Binding once or twice. Press the shoulders away from the ears. Repeat other side.
Repeat with opposite cross.
7. Sleeping Pigeon – Start in down dog. Bring the left knee behind the left wrist. Extend the right leg back. Square off the pelvis. Lower down to the forearms, fist or forehead flat to floor. Get as comfortable as you can. Hold for about 10 breaths.
These poses come from a 20 minute morning yoga practice on my YouTube.