Morning routines are such an integral part of making sure you have a great day.
If you have just 5 minutes to spare in the morning, roll out your mat and try these poses. I won’t waste any more of your time.
- Cat/Cow – Come to table top, with hands under the shoulders and knees under the hips. Spread the fingers wide. Inhale to drop the belly, lift the gaze, and curl the tailbone up. Exhale to round and contract. Make sure you’re taking this motion through the entire length of your spine (upper, mid, and lower back).
2. Downward Dog – Walk the hands forward a couple inches, tuck the toes and lift the hips up towards the sky. Bend the left knee, pushing into the right heel. Straighten the arms and reach your chest towards the thighs. Alternate. Return to neutral, maybe with both knees bent or the heels lifted up.
3. Baby Cobra – Lower down to the belly. Reach and point the toes back. Inhale the chin, chest and palms up. Exhale to lower down. Do a few rounds.
4. Low Lunge – Push up to hands and knees. Step the left foot to top of the mat. Left knee over top of the ankle. Come up to the fingertips. Melt the hips forward. Reach heart forward. To add a twist, bring left hand to left thigh. Draw shoulder back, and gaze over.
5. Three-Legged Dog – Tuck the back toes, lift the knee and kick the left leg up. Bend into the knee and open up the hip. Squeeze the heel towards the glutes.
Repeat 4 and 5 on the other side.
6. Child’s Pose – Bring the big toes together and knees wide as you lower down to the mat. Walk the hands forward and fold. Hold here for at least 5 deep breath, slowing the heart rate.
These poses come from a quick 5 minute morning yoga class I released on my YouTube channel. Check it out below.