When it comes to benefiting from Yin you don’t need many poses to get the job done. In the evening a few of these passive poses will help you to get prepared in both mind and body for sleep.
Yin poses should be passive, with as little muscular effort as possible. Getting more into the tissue and joints.
Hold each of these poses for about 2 minutes.
- Supported Fish – This can be done with or without blocks. If you don’t have blocks and want a bit of support, you can use some cushions or pillows. If using blocks, set them up on the second or lowest level. The first under the back of the head horizontally, and the second vertically between the shoulder blades to support the upper back. Lower down on to your back. Do what you want with your legs. Either dropping the knees out to the side, with the soles of the feet together, or extend the legs straight, or keep the knees bent and feet on the floor. Whichever option makes you feel the best here.
2. Butterfly Forward Fold – Come to a seat. If not already, bring the soles of the feet together and drop the knees out to the side. Add a side bend by walking the hands over to the left, and crawling them out as you fold down. Push into the seat so that the opposite hip stays grounded. Use as little effort, to make this passive. With each exhale, surrender more into the pose as you hold. After a moment or two, walk the hands to the other side.
3. Sphinx – Lay down on the belly, with the forearms flat on the ground. Choose how deep you take it. The further the hands out from the body, the less intense. Roll the shoulders back, and pull the heart forward. Push into the pubic bone to lengthen out through the spine and low back. Take the toes hip width, or wider if you like.
4. Spinal Twist – Roll over onto the back. With the knees bent, widen the feet to the edges of the mat. Drop both knees over to the right. To intensify, cross the right ankle over the left knee. Reach the left arm up overhead or keep in more of a cactus. After a couple of minutes here, repeat on the other side.
5. Closing Stretch – Extend the legs out and take the arms overhead. Stretching from fingers to toes.
These yin poses make up Day 14 of the Evening Yoga Movement. If you want to complete the 30 day challenge, sign up here.