Is yoga and stretching a part of your morning routine? Taking a few moments on your mat is a great way to wake up, set your intentions and get energized for the day ahead.
Give these 7 poses a try when you rise today (or tomorrow morning). Have 1 block at the ready.
- Supported Bridge – Lay down on your back, with knees bent and feet flat on the floor. Lift the hips up and slide your yoga block under the seat at any height. Place hands on the belly or at your sides. As you hold here, take some time to get centered and tune into the breath.
2. Leg Stretch – Lower the block to the lowest level, if it isn’t already. Pull your right knee into the belly. Extend the left leg straight out. Feel an opening in the front of the left hip. Relax your shoulders and upper body. Roll the ankle, or point and flex the foot a few times. Think of pushing into the extended foot. Switch sides.
3. Bridge – With both feet back on the floor, push into the feet and press the hips up. Hug into the inner thighs, feel the glutes fire up. Press into the big toes. Keep the upper body relaxed. Slide the block off to the side before lowering down inch by inch.
4. Thread the Needle – Come up to table top, with the hips over the knees. Reach the right arm up to the sky. Then thread it through underneath you, lowering right shoulder and ear to the floor. Extend your left arm straight over head. Push into the fingertips. Lean a little to the right to center the hips. Draw the low belly in. Hold for several deep breaths. Press up to table top and repeat on the other side.
5. Low Lunge with Prayer Twist – Lift up to downward dog. Kick your right leg up, then step it through between the hands. Stack the right knee over the ankle. Lower your left knee to the mat. Lengthen the tailbone down. Draw the navel in. Bring the hands together at the heart. Rotate towards the right side, hooking the left elbow over the right thigh.
6. Side Low Lunge – Return to center. Bring the hands to the hips. Kick the left toes over to the right side. Face towards the long edge of the mat. Bend into your right knee, pressing the hips forward. Use your right hand to push the knee a bit wider. Keep the hips sinking down.
7. Gate Pose – Turn the right toes in, push into the heel and straighten the right leg. Rest the right hand on the leg, reach the left hand up and over. Rolling the left shoulder back. After several breaths, lift up. Take a counter stretch, bringing the left hand down. Reach the right arm up and over.
Repeat 5 through 7 on the other side.
If you enjoyed these poses, try the full 15 minute flow with me below.