Taking some time to ground yourself in the morning will set you up for a successful and energy filled day ahead.
The 7 poses outlined below are almost all done close to the ground, with one round of Sun Salutation B to greet the day.
No props are needed for this short sequence, and it’s accessible to beginner yogis.
- Neck Rolls – Begin sitting comfortably, whatever that looks like for you. Rest your hands on the legs, rolling the shoulders down away from the ears. Lengthen the spine. Anchor in here as you feel the breath travel to the belly. Trace half moon circles with the head, dropping the right ear to right shoulder, rolling through center, then over to the left. Reverse. Repeat for a few rounds.
2. Side Body Stretch – Extend the left leg out to the side, with right foot inside the left thigh. Slide the left hand down the leg, reaching the right arm up and over. Roll the right shoulder back. Press into the right hip.
3. Baby Wild Thing – Bring your right hand back behind you. Reach the left hand up and over. Press into the left foot and right hand and lift the hips up. After a few breaths, lower the hips back down.
4. Passive Forward Fold – Face towards the extended left leg in a slight twist. Round down towards the leg. In the morning you may find that your hamstrings are tight. Don’t push and pull your way deeper, instead let gravity do the work and stretch the spine.
5. Seated Twist – Lift the torso up. Cross your left foot over the right thigh. Ground both hips down. Reach the left hand back behind you. Hug the knee in with the right arm. Keep the spine tall and straight as you twist towards the left side.
Repeat 2-5 on other leg.
6. Sun Salutation B – Stand at the top of your mat with feet hip width apart. Bend the knees and sink down to chair. Exhale to fold forward and release. Inhale, half lift with flat back. Exhale to fold, plant the palms, step back and lower to belly. Inhale, lifting the chest in cobra. Exhale, tucking the toes and lifting the hips back to down dog. From here step the right foot forward between the hands. Spin the left toes out about 45 degrees and ground the left heel. Push into feet to lift up, reaching arms overhead, hips and shoulders square to front, bending into right knee in Warrior 1. Hold for a few breaths. Circle the palms down to the floor. Step right foot back. Take the flow and repeat Warrior 1 on the left side.
7. Puppy Pose – Lower down to table top. Keep the hips over the knees. Walk the hands out in front of you. Lower the forehead and elbows to the floor. Soften the chest. Send the breath into the upper back as you hold here.
These 7 poses come from one of the 10 minute morning yoga classes over on my YouTube channel. Check it out below.