The second chakra, located in the womb area between the belly button and the pubic bone, is tied to sexuality, sensuality, and creativity.
To tap into this chakra during yoga practices will focus on opening the hips. I believe that we need to strengthen this area as well. To release stagnant energy, and support the new.
Work your way through these 7 poses, using 1 block.
- Elevated Reclined Butterfly – Lower down onto your back. Bend the knees and press into your feet to lift the hips up. Slide the block underneath your hips on the lowest or middle setting. Bring the soles together, and drop the knees out to the sides. Relax the shoulders away from the ears. Take Yoni Mudra, making a triangle with the index fingers together and thumbs together. Hold for several rounds of breath.
2. Supported Bridge with Knee to Chest – Extend the legs out long, with the heels resting down. Hug the left knee in to the belly. Hold here, getting an opening in the front of the right thigh. Keep the head and shoulders resting down. Release, and switch legs.
3. Fire Hydrant – Come up to table top, with shoulders over the hands and hips over the knees. Draw your low belly in, engaging the core. Float your right leg up to the side, keeping the knee bent. Keep the elbows straight. Exhale the leg back down. Do 5 rounds. On the last rep, extend the leg out straight to the side.
4. Thread the Needle – Lower the right toes down to the floor, keeping the leg out to the side. Reach your left arm underneath you and lower down onto the left shoulder. Bring your right arm up overhead. Push into the arms, as well as the little right toe.
5. Lunge/Pyramid – Push back up to table top. Step the right foot in between the hands at the top of the mat. Tuck the left toes under and lift the back knee off the mat. Keep fingers grounded down and hips heavy, maybe rocking back and forth. Straighten your right leg out any amount. Push into the back heel and fold down. Hold here. If the floor is too far, use the block beneath the hands.
6. Modified Side Plank, with Optional Bind – Lower the left knee to the floor. Extend the right leg back behind you. Roll onto the inner edge of the right foot. Push into the left hand and reach the right hand up to the sky. To take further, see if you can float the right leg up. Add a bind by bending the right knee and grasping the right foot with right hand. Kick the foot into the palm. Keep your foot, knee, and hip all level.
Repeat 3 through 6 on the other side.
7. Clam Shells – Lower down onto your right side. Bend the knees. Keep the right elbow down, and use the palm to support the side of the head. Make sure the left hip is stacked over the right. Keep the big toes together. Inhale to lift your left knee up, exhale to lower down. Do 10 or so reps. Repeat on the other side.
These 7 poses come from a full 45 minute vinyasa flow class. Want to practice along with me? Click below.