Good morning yogi! You are getting up, a little achy and stiff from what was hopefully a good night’s sleep. Make time for a few minutes on your mat before starting your day, you will gain the time back easily thanks to the boost in energy.
These 7 yoga poses are accessible to all levels, beginner friendly while also reaping benefits for more advanced practitioners.
- Wide-Legged Child’s Pose – Begin kneeling. Bring the big toes together to touch, and take the knees as wide as feels good. The wider the knees, the more you will feel this in your groin and hips. Add a side bend, by walking the hands to the right side as you lower the forehead to the mat. Press into the left hip. Walk through center and to the left side.
2. Thread the Needle – Come to hands and knees, with hips over knees and shoulders over palms. Reach the left arm up to the sky. Then thread it through underneath, dropping the shoulder and ear down to the floor. Reach the right arm out front. Push into both arms. Shift the hips to the left to intensify. Slide out and switch sides.
3. Three-Legged Dog – Walk your hands forward, tuck the toes and lift your hips up and back. Paddle the feet out a few times, by bending one knee and pressing the opposite heel down. Then kick the right leg up to the sky, bend your knee and open the hip. Keep shoulders squared to the front.
4. Warrior 2- Step the right foot through between the palms. Spin the back heel down to the mat. Push into feet and lift up. Squeeze right thigh open. To take further, interlace fingers behind the back. Bow forward to the inside of the right thigh. Reaching the knuckles up.
5. Easy Twist – Drop hands to the floor, and lift left heel off of the mat. Lift your right arm up to the sky, opening the chest to the right.
6. Side Plank Variation – Lower right hand and left knee to the mat. Step your right foot back, pressing through the heel. Roll to the inner edge of the left foot. Push into the left hand and reach the right hand back up to the sky. Stacking one shoulder on top of the other.
7. Bird Dog – Lower your right hand. Extend the right leg back behind you. Keep the hip rotating down. Maybe also extending the opposite hand forward. Inhale to expand, exhale to contract elbow and knee together. Do 3 rounds.
Repeat 3 through 7 on the other side.
Want to just press play and get your practice in without thinking what’s next? Check out the video below.