Rise & shine with a full body 10 minute yoga stretch to wake you up! These 7 poses are great for all yogis, and require no props.
1. Side Body Stretch – Take a seat, cross legged. Bring the right hand down beside you and reach the left one up and over. Keeping the left shoulder rolling back for a side body stretch. Circle the left arm down and fold towards the knee. Walking the arms out. Keep pressing the sit bones down. Stretch in to your low back. Lift up, switch the cross of the legs, then repeat to the other side.
2. Seated Twist – Straighten the legs out in front of you. Bend the right knee, crossing the right foot over the left thigh. Hug the right knee in with the left elbow. Walk the right fingertips back behind you. Open the chest to the right side. Use the right fingers to lift and lengthen out of the low back. After several breaths, unwind.
3. Hamstring Stretch – Stack the right knee on top of the left. Crawl your hands forward as you fold down. Don’t worry how far you make it. This is a deep stretch, especially first thing in the morning. After several breaths, lift up and uncross the legs.
4. Reverse Table Top – Bend both knees. Plant the palms behind you, fingers facing forward. Squeeze into the glutes and lift the hips up.
Lower down and repeat 2-4 through on the other side.
5. Puppy Pose – Come up to hands and knees. Keep the hips over the knees, as you walk the hands forward. Lower the forehead to the mat, and melt the heart down. If you want to intensify this, bring the palms together to touch, bend the elbows and bring the fingers towards the back of the neck. Hold for several breaths. Release the hands down.
6. Wide-Legged Child’s Pose – Bring the big toes together and the knees as wide as feels comfortable. Lower the forehead, and press the chest towards the mat. Extend the arms forward.
7. Shoulder Stretch – Lift up and sit back on the heels if this feels okay. Bring the arms in front of you, bend the elbows, and cross the right one under the left one. Bind the arms once or twice. Lift the elbows up to shoulder height. Press the hands away. Maybe tuck the chin to the chest. Hold for 5 or so breaths. Inhale to unravel the arms, switch the cross, and repeat.
Want a full 10 minute morning yoga practice with me? Click through to the video below.