These 7 poses will challenge your body in many ways. Open your shoulders and chest, stretch the hips, strengthen the core, and work on your balance.
This all comes from a 30 minute Intermediate Vinyasa Flow over on my YouTube channel.
Roll out your mat, no additional props required.
1. Spine Stretch – Come to table top, with hands under the shoulders and knees under the hips. Draw the belly in, reaching the tail back and the crown of the head forward. Bring the left hand behind the head. Inhale to open the chest to the left side, reaching the elbow up to the sky. Exhale to bring it parallel to the floor. Repeat 3 times. Then open the left hand up to the sky, before threading through underneath you. Coming down onto left ear and left shoulder for thread the needle. Repeat on the other side.
2. Pyramid with Wide Legged Variation – Tuck the toes and lift the hips up to come into downward dog. Kick the right leg up to the sky, before stepping it through to the top of your mat. Keep both sets of toes pointing forward. Start to straighten the right leg and fold down. The back heel may be lifted up.
3. Triangle with Archer Arms – Spin the left heel down and toes out. Bend into the right knee as needed to lift up. Reach the right arm up overhead, bend into the elbow and bring the fingers down to the back of the neck. The left hand may press the right elbow back, or reach it back and under to clasp hands. Straighten the right leg, send the hips back, and reach the chest forward. Release the clasp, look to the floor, bend the right knee. Bring fingers down and step back to take a flow.
Repeat 2 and 3 on the other side.
4. Forearm Side Plank/Wild Thing Variation – From table top, bring the forearms down with elbows under the shoulders. Step the feet back, coming into plank. Roll onto the left elbow, lift up on to the right fingertips. Roll onto the outer edge of the left foot, and step your right toes back. Lift your right arm up and over. Transition back to center, and take to the other side.
5. Tiger Pose – Come back to table top. Kick the left leg up, keeping the knee bent and the heel pressing up. Lift the gaze and drop the belly. Maybe reach back with the right hand to clasp hold of the foot. Kick the foot into the hand to open the chest further, and deepen the back bend. Keep the knee facing down. Release and repeat on the other side.
6. Warrior 3 with Clasp – From down dog, kick the right leg up and then step it through to the top of the mat. Push into the feet to lift up. Bend deep in the front knee, keep the left toes tucked. Clasp the hands behind the back, rolling the shoulders down. Keep a generous bend in the front knee, tilt forward and lift the left toes up. Keep the hips rotating down and low. Maybe try to lift the knuckles off of the back.
7. Eagle Pose – Step the left foot forward, hip width apart. Bend the knees and sink the hips in chair pose. Bring the arms in front of you, bending the elbows and hooking the right elbow under the left in single or double bind. Cross the right thigh over the left one, maybe hooking the toes behind the shin. Pull the naval in and keep the chest lifted.
Take a flow and repeat on the other side.
If you want a full challenging 30 minute vinyasa flow, practice along with me in the video below.