If you are in need of healing – be it mental, physical, or emotional, some time on your mat may be just the thing you need. Let this sequence be a place to find some solace and support.
Each asana is paired with an affirmation. Internally repeat these positive statements to yourself. Use them to get in the mindset of healing. As you say the affirmations, notice where you feel it. Notice the emotions that turn up. You might want to grab a journal at the end to work through anything that comes up.
No need for props, but as always you are welcome to have them handy. Hold each of these poses for about 3 minutes.
1. Seated Meditation – Find a comfortable seat. Roll the shoulders down away from the ears. Relax your arms, hands, and legs. Let the breath flow with ease, in and out through the nose. Take some time to consider what needs to heal. What is in need of some care and tending.
2. Butterfly Forward Fold – Bring the soles together and let the knees fall open to the sides. Decide how close to bring the heels towards you. Walk the hands forward, turn the palms up. Use no muscular effort as you fold down. Rounding the spine, and letting gravity do the work.
Affirmation: “I give myself permission to heal inside and out.”
3. Square Pose – Stack the right shin on top of the left (right knee on left ankle, right ankle on left knee). If lifted up, you can close gaps with any props you have near by. Rotate towards the right foot, then fold down.
Affirmation: “Every cell in my body is vibrant and healthy.”
Ease out of the pose, taking any gentle movement the body needs. Then switch sides.
Affirmation: “Wellness is my natural state.”
4. Straddle Fold – Widen the legs, extending them out to the sides. Keep a small bend in the knees. Tilt the pelvis forward and fold from here. Letting gravity slowly open you up again. You may use props or dangle here.
Affirmation: “I see my current circumstances as opportunities to grow.”
5. Half Cat Pulling Its Tail – Lower down onto the back. Pull your right knee in to the belly. Use the left hand to cross the right leg over the body in a twist. Stay here, reaching the right arm out to the side and rolling the shoulder down. Or use the right hand to clasp hold of the left foot, pulling it in for a quad stretch.
Affirmation: “I free myself from destructive fears and doubts.”
Release and roll on to the back. Switch sides.
Affirmation: “I am gentle with myself through the healing process.”
6. Savasana – Extend the legs out. Take up some space. Get comfortable, and settle here. Let go, release tension. Fully surrender. Invite yourself to heal.
Affirmation: “My mind, body, and spirit are in perfect harmony.”
Prefer to let go and surrender for the full practice, being guided through by my voice. Practice with me in the class below.