When you wake up in the morning, what is your body craving? Does it need some sort of stretch? Or perhaps it’s asking for some strength building work? Why not give it both before you start your day!
These 7 poses will give you a boost of energy in the morning. These are great for all levels, and no props are required.
1. Floating Butterfly – Lay down in reclined butterfly. Bring the soles of the feet together and drop the knees out to the sides. Let the arms rest down beside you. Take a few rounds of breath here. Then as you next inhale, squeeze the glutes and lift the hips off of the floor. As you exhale, release down. Do a few rounds of this. Next, separate the feet so the soles are no longer touching. Inhale as you push in to the feet to lift the hips, bring the knees to point up in bridge. Exhale to separate the knees and lower the hips down. Do a few more rounds like this.
2. Forward Fold – Rock up to a seat. Keep your right leg extended out. Bring the left foot to the inside of the thigh and drop the knee out. Make this fold passive, as you round into the spine and melt towards the leg. Turn your palms to face up so that you aren’t tempted to push or pull your way deeper. Slowly rise back up, then repeat on the other leg.
3. Gate Pose / Side Body Stretch – Come up to kneeling on the shins. Extend the right leg out to the side, keep the toes pointing forward in line with the hips. Inhale the left arm up. Exhale, reach it over for a side bend in Gate Pose. Hold for a few breaths here. Inhale to rise up. Bring the left hand down, and reach the right arm up and over in a counter side body stretch.
4. Obliques – Bring the hands behind the head, interlacing the fingers. Squeeze the elbows out to the side. As you exhale, dip down to the left. Inhale to lift back up. Feel the right obliques working. Repeat a few times.
Bring the right knee in, extend the left leg and repeat 3 and 4.
5. Half Sun Salutation – Come to stand at the top of your mat, with the feet about hip width apart. Inhale the hands up over head. Exhale to fold forward. Inhale, bringing the hands to the shins, half lift with a flat back. Exhale, to fold again. Inhale, push into the feet to lift up, reaching the arms up overhead. Exhale, hands to the heart. Do 3 rounds.
6. Goddess – Turn to the long edge of your mat, taking the feet wide. Turn the heels in and toes out about 45 degrees. Bend the knees, sinking the hips down. Squeeze the glutes open. Bring the hands to rest on the thighs. Take into a twist, dropping left shoulder forward and drawing the right one back. Return to center. Then take to the other side. Press into the feet to rise up.
7. Warrior 3 – Step to the top of the mat, with feet hip width apart. Bring the hands together at the front of your heart. Lean onto the right leg. Lift the left knee up in front of you, squeezing it as high as you can. Begin to kick and extend the leg behind you, as you hinge forward. Come at most parallel to the ground. Keep the left hip rotating down. Roll the shoulders away from the floor. Bend the right knee as you lower the left foot down. Repeat on the other leg.
Want a full 30 minute vinyasa flow this morning? Press play on this Wake Up yoga class.
Please do subscribe to my YouTube channel
☮ Website: http://www.yogawithkassandra.com
☮ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryoga
☮ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoga_with_k…
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.