When you crawl into bed at night, do you find yourself unable to fall asleep easily? Taking some time to release the tension, both in the body as well as in the mind, is a great way to have slumber come quickly.
Whether it is stress, or thoughts circling over, try these 7 poses before you get under the covers. You can even do this practice in your pajamas if you like, I won’t tell.
1. Fold with Twist – Sit in a way that you have the right shin in front of the left. Twist towards the right knee. Start to walk the hands forward to fold down. Feeling a stretch in the back and left hip. Stack the fists to support the head (or use a cushion to prop yourself up).
2. Seated Cat/Cow – Lift up, and rest the hands down on the knees. As you inhale, open up through the chest and gaze up. Exhale, to round and contract the spine. Take a few rounds like that.
Switch the cross so that the left shin is in the front. Twist to the left and fold down on this side.
3. Straight Legged Forward Fold – Extend the legs out, with the feet about hip width apart. Make this a passive fold, rounding the spine as you melt down. Let gravity open you deeper into the pose. Turn the palms up, to avoid pushing and pulling. Let the shoulders and head be heavy.
4. Reclined Spinal Twist – Lower down onto your back. Bend the left knee. Use your right hand to guide the knee across the body to the right side. Reach your left arm out to the side. Relax into the pose, not using too much effort.
5. Leg Stretch – Come back to center. Hold on to the back of the left thigh. Extend the leg straight up towards the sky. Roll the ankle a few times.
Release and repeat 4-5 on the other side.
6. Happy Baby – Draw both knees in to the belly. Clasp hold of the big toes or outer edges of the feet. Stack the ankles over the knees. Use your elbows to push the thighs wider. Rock gently side to side.
7. Savasana – Extend out with arms and legs. Turn the palms up to the sky. Close your eyes, and surrender in to the pose. Welcome in peace and clarity as you prepare to get under the covers (you could even get under the covers before this one).
Prefer to be gently guided through these poses step by step, press play on the video below.
Please do subscribe to my YouTube channel
☮ Website: http://www.yogawithkassandra.com
☮ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryoga
☮ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoga_with_k…
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.