What is your go to in order to boost your energy first thing in the morning? Do you turn to coffee? Or is it found in the food you eat? Or maybe you make some time to move the body? That’s my favorite way!
This quick sequence will get you into some side bends and hamstring stretches, and help you feel great and ready to take on the day.
No props are needed for this, and it should take you just about 10 minutes.
1. Banana Pose – Bring your hips towards the left side of your mat, and then lower down onto your back. Walk the feet towards the right side as you extend them out. Bring your upper body towards the right as well (head and shoulders). Reach the hands up overhead, clasping hold of the wrists. Maybe cross the left ankle over the right one. Create as much space between the shoulder and ankle on the left side of the body. Keep your shoulders and hips facing up, not rolling to one side. Repeat to the other side.
2. Cat/Cow – Rock up to table top, with the fingers spread wide under the shoulders and hips stacked over the knees. Inhale to drop the belly, curling the gaze and tailbone up. Exhale to round and contract the spine, nose towards naval. Move through this flexion and extension of the spine for 5 or so rounds of breath.
3. Down Dog to Plank – Walk the palms slightly ahead, tuck the toes under, lift the hips up and back into downward facing dog. Bend the knees and paddle out the feet a few times. Kick the right leg up to the sky. Bend the knee as you draw it in towards the chest, slowly rippling forward into plank to work your core.
4. Moving Warrior 2 – Step the right foot through between the hands. Spin the left heel down, bringing the back foot parallel to the shorter edge of your mat. Bend deep into the right knee as you push into the feet, lifting up to Warrior 2. Extend the arms front to back. As you inhale, straighten the right leg and reach the hands up overhead. As you exhale, sink back into Warrior 2. Do 3-5 rounds.
5. Easy Twist to Side Plank – Cartwheel the palms down. Tuck the left toes and lift the heel up. Keep the left hand down inside the right foot, reach the right hand up to the sky and open the chest to the right side. Transition to side plank, rolling on to the outer edge of the left foot and stepping the right foot back to stack. Push into the feet to lift the hips higher.
Lower the hand down to the mat, step back and take a Vinyasa. Repeat 3-5 on the other side.
6. Seated Forward Fold – Come to a seat, extending the right leg out in front. Bring the left foot inside of the right leg, dropping the knee out to the side. Keeping the spine straight, inhale the hands overhead. Maintain a flat back as you fold down. Pull your heart forward. Shrug the shoulders back.
7. Leg Stretch – Bend the right knee, keeping grasp of the foot. Lift the chest up, keeping the spine straight. Sit tall, as you straighten the right leg up.
Repeat 6 and 7 through on the other leg.
These 7 poses come from Day 28 of my 30 day Morning Yoga Movement challenge. If you want to start with yoga every morning for 30 days, sign up here.
Or practice along with this video by clicking play below.
Please do subscribe to my YouTube channel
☮ Website: http://www.yogawithkassandra.com
☮ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryoga
☮ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoga_with_k…
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.