This beginner friendly yoga stretch will soothe you, while also giving you a boost of energy.
The 7 poses outlined below will stretch your body from head to toe.
No props are required.
1. Spine Warm Up – Start seated cross legged, one shin in front of the other, or any other way which is comfortable for you. Lengthen the spine. Roll your shoulders back. Crawl the fingers out to the side to find more length in the arms. Inhale the left arm up overhead. Exhale to side bend. Reaching the left fingers to the right, keeping the bicep along the ear. Bending in to the right arm to find more length in the left side of the body. Hold for a few breaths. Keep the upper body as is, lower the left arm down, until the hand hovers about a foot off of the floor. Hold for a couple of breaths. Repeat to other side
2. Cat/Cow Variation – Come to table top, with the palms under the shoulders and knees under the hips. Kick the right heel up to the sky. Inhale, drop the belly, lift the gaze. Exhale, round and contract knee to nose. Take 3 rounds or so.
3. Side Plank Variation – Step the right foot back. Roll to the inner edge of the right foot. Reach the right arm up to the sky in a modified side plank, stacking the shoulders one on top of the other. Squeeze and lift the right foot up. Exhale to tap it down. Do 5 rounds of this. Then hold the foot up at hip height. Stay here or take a bind, bending the back knee and catching hold of the foot. Push the foot into the hand. Keeping knee and foot even with the hip.
4. Low Lunge/Hamstring Stretch – Look to the floor, step the right foot through between the hands. Stacking knee over ankle, sink the hips down and forward. Square the hips and lift the chest. Keep the fingers down. Exhale, to straighten the front leg, curling the toes up. Stay lifted, or sink hips to heels and fold towards the front leg.
Repeat 2 through 4 on the other side.
5. Chair Pose with Twist – Step up to the top of the mat, bringing the big toes together and the heels apart. Bend the knees and sink the hips down. Bring the hands together at the heart, pushing into the palms. Take into a twist, bringing the right elbow to the outside of the left thigh. Keep the knees in line. Come to center, then take to the other side.
6. Plank with Hip Dips – Fold forward, bend the knees and plant the palms then step the feet back. Finding one long line from the crown of the head to the heels. Inhale to find more length. Exhale, drop the heels to the right. Inhale to center. Exhale to the other side. Isolate the legs and hips. Do 5 rounds.
7. Square Pose – Lower down to a seat, with the legs in front. Stack the left shin over the right. Ankle over knee, knee over ankle. You may have space between. But if this is uncomfortable, place one shin in front of the other. Stay up high, or turn to the right, folding to the outside of the left foot. Unravel. Switch the legs and repeat to the other side.
These 7 poses come from Day 29 of my 30 day Morning Yoga Movement challenge. If you want to start with yoga every morning for 30 days, sign up here.
Or practice along with this video by clicking play below.
☮ Website: http://www.yogawithkassandra.com
☮ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryoga
☮ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoga_with_k…
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.