As you get up and look to get on with your day, Sun Salutations are a great way to get the body moving. Also if you are someone who likes to go for a run or hit the gym, these are great flows to warm up before your workout.
You don’t need any props for this quick practice.
1. Wide-Legged Child’s Pose – From hands and knees, bring your big toes together to touch, and take the knees as wide as you would like. Press your hips to the heels, and walks the hands out until you bring the forehead to the ground (or rest it on stacked fists). Take deep belly breaths, inhaling and exhaling through the nose. Work to even out the inhale and exhale, by counting somewhere between 3 and 6 for each one. Make your way to table top once more, with hands under shoulders and knees under the hips. Take a few rounds of cat/cow to warm up the spine – dropping the belly and lifting the tailbone on the inhale, and rounding the back tucking chin to chest on the exhale.
2. Rag-Doll Fold – Walk hands slightly forward, tuck the toes under and lift the hips up and back to come in to Downward Facing Dog. Bend your knees and sway from side to side. Push down in to the fingertips and knuckles to take the weight bearing away from the wrists. Look towards the hands and walk the feet to the front of the mat. Bend your knees, and clasp opposite elbows. Maybe shake your head a few times up and down or side to side. Release the hands down, bend in to your knees and push in to the heels to roll all the way up.
3. Half Sun Salutation – Standing tall at the front of your mat, reach the hands up over head. Bring the hands together to touch. As you exhale, hinge forward from the hips. You may want to bend the knees as you do so. Inhale, half lift, bringing fingers to the shins. Exhale, fold fully forward. On your next inhale, push in to the feet to come all the way back up. Exhale the hands to the heart. Repeat through 3 times.
4. Sun Salutation A – Adding on. Inhale, arms up overhead. Exhale, forward fold. Inhale, half lift with flat back. Exhale, plant the palms and step back in to high plank. Take a fully breath cycle here, keeping the core engaged. Exhale, lower down to the belly. Roll the shoulders back and untuck the toes. Inhale, push into the hands for cobra or upward facing dog. Exhale, lift the hips to downward dog. Take another full breath cycle here. At the end of your exhale, look forward and step the feet to the front of the mat. Inhale, half lift. Exhale, fold forward. Inhale, press into the feet and come up to standing, bringing the arms up overhead. Exhale, hands to the heart. Do 3 rounds of this Sun Salutation A.
5. Sun Salutation B – From mountain pose at the front of your mat. Inhale, bend the knees and reach your arms forward in chair pose. Exhale, straighten the legs as you fold forward. Inhale, half lift with flat back. Exhale fold. Then move through your vinyasa, ending in downward dog. Step your right foot forward between the hands. Spin your back foot out at 45 degrees. Sweep the arms up overhead, Warrior 1. Take a deep breath here. As you exhale, hands come to the ground and lower to chaturanga. Move through your vinyasa. From downward dog, step the left foot forward, taking Warrior 1 on the second side. Exhale, the hands down and move through vinyasa. Step or hop to the front of your mat. Inhale, half lift. Exhale, fold fully. Bend the knees, drop the hips, to chair pose. Press to stand. Repeat through 2 additional times.
6. Yogi Squat – Turn to face the long edge of your mat, step the feet wide and parallel to short edges of the mat. Inhale, lift and lengthen. Exhale, hinge forward at the hips. Bring your hands down wherever is comfortable. Shake out the head. Push into the hands to lift the chin and chest halfway. Bend the knees slightly, toe heel the feet in halfway. Turn the heels in and toes out slightly. Lower down in to a yogi squat. Bring your hands together at the heart, and use your elbows to push the knees open wider. Lengthen your spine, as you start to slow down your breath and heart rate.
7. Seated Twist – Come to a seat, with legs crossed comfortably. Bring the left hand to the right thigh and right hand back behind you. Taking a gentle twist. Keeping the hips facing forward. Rotate the spine. Exhale to release back to center. Then switch sides.
While in your seat, you may choose to close with a seated meditation, rather than a savasana. Either way give yourself a few moments to digest the work you have done.
Prefer to see or hear the practice. Click through to the video below.
☮ Website: http://www.yogawithkassandra.com
☮ Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kryoga
☮ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/yoga_with_k…
Yoga with Kassandra – Disclaimer
Please consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s negligence.