When targeting one area of the body in a workout, it doesn’t require much time at once, but rather the right moves consistently.
These 5 moves make up a 15 minute circuit I practice regularly, to work the side abdominals or obliques. Doing this alongside my yoga practice provides me with strength and stability in the core to get in to new (and impressive) yoga poses.
Each of these exercises will be done in 12 repetitions on each side. Feel free to take breaks as needed, no one is timing how fast you get it done.
You will need one block for this short and sweet workout, and I would also suggest a yoga mat for comfort.
These are pulled from my latest video on YouTube, Obliques Workout Circuit. Feel free to check the video out or read on for the step by step instructions.
1. Crunch Variation – Have a block handy as you recline onto your back. Bend your knees and place the block between the inner thighs to keep them engaged and squeezing in. Lift the knees, so they stack over the hips, with shins parallel to the floor. Press the low back into the floor, drawing the belly in. Take a moment to realign knees directly over the hips. Then interlace your fingers behind the head, take a grounding inhale. As you exhale, lift head and shoulders. Hold here at center for an inhale and on your next exhale twist to the right. Keep lower body in place. Inhale to center, exhale now to the left. Return to center and that is one rep. Complete 12 reps.
2. Boat Pose Twists – With the block still between the thighs, come up to seated. Knees bent and feet can rest on the floor, or to increase intensity lift the feet setting up into boat pose. Interlace the fingers and twist to the right. Tap the right arm to the right side, then twist left tapping the left arm down. That’s one, do 11 more.
3. Side Plank Crunches – Set yourself up in table top. Extend the left leg out, drop the left heel to the mat and reach left arm up, making your way into a modified side plank. Next, lift the left leg off of the mat and extend left arm over so the left side is one diagonal line. Inhale to stretch, exhale to crunch to the side. The left elbow and left knee tap together. Do this 12 times and then switch to the right side.
4. Hip Dips – Come now into full side plank with both legs extended. Bring the raised hand to the hip for stability. Inhale to lift up, exhale to sink hips down a few inches. You know the drill, do this 12 times total on each side.
5. Forrest Yoga Abs – Lay down with the legs lifted, just as we set up for the first pose, but this time without the block. Imagine the inner thighs still squeezing together. Bring the hands to the back of the head. Inhale to curl the head and shoulders off the floor. Exhale twisting to the right and reaching the left leg straight, keeping the right leg as it is. Return to center, and switch to the other side. Count one, now complete 12.
Be sure to do some cool down side stretches and twists before getting up.
If you want to make this a longer workout, you may want to follow it up with my 10 Minute Plank Pose Challenge.
Confused by these moves? Practice with the video below to see the circuit play out each step of the way.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my YouTube channel to support FREE weekly content like this.
Thanks for sweating with me,
consult with your physician before beginning any exercise program. By
participating in this exercise or exercise program, you agree that you
do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these
activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release
and discharge Yoga with Kassandra from any and all claims or causes of
action, known or unknown, arising out of Yoga with Kassandra’s